View Single Post
Old 10-03-18, 07:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2967 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs View Post
Well alrighty then... I like the replies. It's mostly about tires. And air pressure.

I want an Endurance type of bike that has a good roll, 85% asphalt, 15% gravel, grass, compact dirt and little mud. Mostly a road bike with 700 x 32c tires.

Will the 32c be a big enough tire to run at a lower pressure.?? 35c, 38c.... How wide can I go to still have a moderately fast road roll.??

I want to keep this bike out of the conversation... I have a Schwinn withfront suspension and 42c tires. I run the front tire full of air(it has suspension) and I run the rear tire at about 60lbs which gives a better rubbery ride. Just saying, that's what I have now. I want an endurance road bike for better speed averages and longer miles. Example would be a Giant Defy Advanced 3.
Ill go another direction and suggest that frame geometry is how you get to the bike you want.

You want a Caddy? A bike with longer than average chainstays and a more relaxed front end will get you there. Bonus is that typically the bikes with longer than average chainstays and a more relaxed front end are also built to handle wider tires.

Steel isnít as jarring as aluminum. Carbon isnít as jarring as steel. Steel will Ďflexí more than Carbon.
All my drop bar bikes are steel, so I am admittedly biased, but they can be made light enough and stiff enough for me to not feel like I am losing anything while still being comfortable.

As mentioned though, wider tires will absorb road imperfections the best. Its just that proper frame geometry allows for those wider tires to be used.
QUALITY wider tires can still roll as fast or actually faster than mid-tier thin road tires. You then get comfort and speed- the best of both worlds.

If you run quality 35mm tires on a bike with 435mm chainstays and 55-60mm of trail, you will have something that is stable, soaks up bumps, and handles fine at both lower and higher speeds. Itll be the big boat of a Caddy you mentioned earlier, while still capable of going plenty fast.