Old 10-03-18, 06:29 PM
Roadie Fixie

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre, Surly Steamroller, and Somec Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes

Honestly, people truly over exaggerate the care required for a Brooks seat. How long does it take to put a shower cap over a seat? How many minutes does it take to apply Proofhide once a year, if you choose to do so? I can honestly say though, I don't remember the last time I applied Proofhide, and I still have the original tin, and barely any is missing from it. If you think you cannot spare maybe two minutes a year to apply Proofhide, you have bigger problems.
If you don't have a car and ride your bike every single day, including for errands only 10 minutes or so away, I can totally see the time and worry adding up. Should I carry a shower cap today if there's a 20% chance of rain? What if you forget it?

For me at least, if I'm going to have to worry about it every time that it rains (when I'm at work my bike is outside), it's not worth the potential extra comfort that it would give me for the only 15-20 miles I ride everyday.

I'm considering putting it on the bike I use for distance riding, but at least in my opinion, Brooks saddles look out of place on carbon bikes and it weighs a good 250 grams more than the saddle I currently have.