W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by arai_speed
Thanks for the feedback.
I can definitely see the value, both from a historical and a repeatability stand point to using my non-ideal 20 hill test * .95 (what is ideal?)
The reason why I asked is because I train to race, and if I'm getting higher numbers from a race event, then shouldn't I use those numbers instead?
It would seem that's what I need to replicate (or try to) in my training. Granted, it's only a 15 watt difference, but in the world of marginal gains this one stuck out....
1) If you're using a plan that is uses constructed workouts based on an FTP that was assumed to be derived via a specific FTP test, you really should be doing the prescribed test so that your targets are as expected. That's what I would consider "ideal".

2) We all train to race/perform. The difference isn't that your 20m numbers from a race are bad or should be ignored, it's that they don't represent what a 20m FTP represents. You can't just take your best 20m power, multiply by 0.95 (or is it 0.94, 0.98, etc) and assume that is your FTP. Similarly, you can't just look at two 8m intervals during a race and derive FTP from that, even though a 2x8m FTP test exists. The point is that the tests are designed to put you in a place to where the results closely match your absolute best 60m power. Any given 20m power best during a race *should* be higher than your existing FTP, because well, 20m is shorter than 60m. So your 20m power should be higher than your 60m power.

2a) If your 60m power from a race is higher than your FTP, I would definitely consider adjusting your FTP up to match.

3) If you want to see your true FTP, do a nice warmup, then do a 60m maximal effort. That will give you your true maximal 60m power, and thus your true FTP. It's really hard to do this, hence the plethora of shorter testing protocols.

4) All that said, I agree with cmh, bump your FTP for a week and see if you can complete your workouts. Too easy? Bump it another 5w and try another week. Too hard, drop it 5w. Try again. Repeat.

5) Marginal gains don't exist.