View Single Post
Old 10-07-18, 12:02 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelman54
Great discussion, but I’ll have to assume no one has used the new PT with the built in extractor. To me ultra torque has always been about avoiding patent issues, but that is just an old engineers best guess. Campagnolo seeems more complicated, but I’m used to it from my 10 speed set up and Shimano not available in silver that I’ve seen.
From another old engineer: It doesn't matter why Campy went to PT and then moved on to UT. Save for, for years one of they're key marketing points has been low q with even l//r spacing, correct chainline, without compromising heel and ankle clearance. They had all of that nailed with the Record carbon square taper parts, but ... I dunno. What I can get now is UT, since I can't find much in the way of a square taper Record-grade CT crankset with 170 or 172.5 that will give me the lowest Q (pretty much) in the market and allow me to just use one of several 102 mm BBs I have in my BB Box.

Seems to me I just need to buy UT 11 cups instead of UT 10 cups, and I cannot use PT 11 cups. That's a little irritating, but it should get sorted out at least in my head pretty soon.