Old 10-07-18, 02:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Can anyone with 700c rims comment on possible case fitment as I've only thus far spotted tales of case fitment for 26' wheeled bikes.
Look above in post number 26 at the photo, he took the tires off the rims. That is a hard case. Because the rims are so close to the size of the case, I think that those are 700c.

Watch this video. Zinn is a very tall guy, his bike frame is huge which might be why he has more than two couplers. And since he travels a lot to race and he also builds bikes, he even used a coupler in the stem. You can see when he puts the wheels in how tight the fit is.

Wheels might fit a bit better in the backpack case because that has somewhat flexible side panels. My photo below is with 26 inch wheels in the S&S backpack case. I have deflated 57 mm wide 26 inch tires still on the rims in the case. I need to deflate them to get the case to fit.

In the photo above, a few parts are not in that case, I was trying to make a record for myself of the best way I found to fit the parts in the case.

In the photo below I have a home made center support intended to keep the bike parts in the middle of the case from getting crushed. The center support is two wooden dowels 1 inch in diameter (a dowel is a cylindrical piece of wood about 25mm in diameter) with a thin piece of wood on top and bottom held on to the dowels with wood screws.

I also put a piece of cardboard on the top and bottom for a bit more stiffness, you see the brown cardboard under the bike in the photo, but the piece on top is not in the photo yet, it goes in last. Since the photo was made, I cut pieces of coroplast (a plastic cardboard instead of paper based cardboard) to use in the future.

I found that the side panels in the Backpack case fit better if I leave the velcro straps in the corners slightly loose. This means nothing to you at this time, but if you buy the case it may make some sense later.

Most of the bike is in the case below. This is a heavy expedition bike, the bike and case weigh more than the 50 pound airline weight limit so I put a few parts in a different bag. Also the rear rack is in a different bag, I could not get it to fit in the case. A luggage scale is your best friend here, my goal is to get it to 2 pounds (~1 kg) less than the airline weight limit.

There are flat pockets on the large panels of the backpack case. Some people put clothing in there for cushioning, I don't.

In the photo below I am wearing the Backpack case on my back as I walk out of an airport.

I tried to strap the major parts of the bike together with double sided velcro in the photo so that you can lift the frame members and wheels out of the case as a single unit. My goal there is to try to keep that in one piece in case airline security people want to unpack the bike for an inspection and then are unable to get it together again. I also put a note on top telling them to lift it all out as a package if they have to inspect it. In the future I plan to use zip ties instead of velcro for added strength. I also had some green colored soft rubber perforated sheeting that I used in several spots for padding between parts.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 10-07-18 at 02:21 PM.