Old 10-11-18, 06:48 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sanchan View Post
....I have received my replacement cassette, (Shimano Dura Ace MF-7400 6 speed 13 - 21) and I am wondering if I need to do anything to the cassette before I install it? (i.e....lubrication?) it appears to have a good coating of grease and is NOS, never used.
Thanks
Is your replacement a Uniglide DA cassette or a Uniglide DA freewheel? There is a big difference.

A cassette mounts on a freehub which is integrated into the rear hub. Basically the five larger sprockets slide onto the freehub body as a unit, and in the case of the Uniglide model, is then secured in place by a threaded smallest (13T) sprocket.

A freewheel contains the entire mechanism which "freewheels" when coasting and engages when pedaling. The freewheel body threads onto the rear hub. The freewheel body also carries the sprockets. In the case of a DA the five larger sprockets slide on and the 13T threads to the body.

Loose DA freewheel sprockets:

A very contaminated DA body ready for service and new lube.

A DA after cleaning and new lube and ready for reassembly.

Granted this is an extreme example of a freewheel being neglected, abused, and ignored. But any vintage freewheel, whether NOS or one that is lightly used and never serviced, can benefit from a complete cleaning and new lube. The same is true for hubs, headsets and BBs.

While not a DA, the Shimano 600 is similar. This one was ready to go back into service.

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com