View Single Post
Old 10-11-18, 11:07 AM
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
There are lots of things that are a waste of money. Buying a new car for one????

I really don't think mankind will ever be able to travel bouncing from star system to star system, or planet to planet like Star Trek.

The Physics as we know it just isn't there.

I do anticipate that mankind will eventually spread to a couple of planets and moons within our solar system. Personally, I would establish a lunar colony before I would establish a martian colony, but each has its own benefits.

I doubt we'll ever have easy travel from planet to planet. Of course Columbus might have said the same in 1492... and here we are hopping on a plane and being on another continent in a matter of hours (quicker if the Concorde hadn't shut down).

I would highly disagree with any plans to strip-mine the solar system to feed Earth's ravenous needs for resources. Our solar system will eventually be a resource onto itself. Our moon, for example, could eventually be an excellent stepping-stone for solar system transport, and even production of terrestrial satellites. Mars, perhaps an intermediary weigh station. Interplanetary money, of course, could be complex, especially considering the needs of any growing colony on an inhospitable planet.

But, in general, I'd favor keeping what is in space, in space.

The moon vs mars have both good things and bad things. Mars has higher gravity, and more free water and free carbon/oxygen. It also has an excellent length of day. On the other hand, it is further from the sun, colder, and a greater trip between Earth and Mars.

The moon is close to Earth. The lower gravity could have benefits for space travel. And, it gets the same sun as Earth (although not filtered through the atmosphere). The Lunar day is long and HOT, and nights are long and COLD. The polar regions may have some water/carbon resources, and might have good sunlight. But more limited than Mars.

I suppose I see the colonization of the moon as important for our future space system, both on Earth, and beyond.

Colonization of Mars and/or Venus would be more of a challenge, and perhaps practice for something bigger and better.

Colonization of an exoplanet will require special technology including possibly a generation ship, robotic probes, or stasis. Or, perhaps a combination of all of the above. Doing so may not give Earth any specific benefit, other than satisfying our curiosity. Again, the arduous journey between solar systems will prevent us from doing the journey with regularity, or transferring significant resources back and forth. In fact, the natural movement of our star system will bring some stars close for a period, then they will eventually recede, making even communication more complex.
There's a big difference. Columbus bumbled into a New World...and justified the entire thing to his lordly Patrons by bringing back Cheddar (gold) and slaves.

The only things on the Moon and Mars...is a bunch of dead rock and dust, the only water to drink requires a ton of effort and as for breathable air--it needs made, not even local fauna to live off. And what is more, if anything of value was/is found, it will crash the economies of those materials here--just as it did for Columbus when he brought back riches to the Old World.