Old 10-11-18, 01:18 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Worth it? Depends on one's POV.

I suspect that the major value of any exploration of a new spot would be roughly similar to, say, getting off a continent and finding another continent or an island. Result: more space, more resources. (With a host of costs, of course.) Which presupposes that "more" is better, here.

Finding an ability to colonize/populate another planetary body could potentially better provide for the long-term survival of life as it's known on Earth. Worth the costs of doing so? Depends on the POV, I suppose.

I'm not all that concerned with the idea of living forever (as a species). Doesn't move me, as a concept, since each living thing has it's specified time, as does a species or collection of species.

Any number of things could occur in a single spot that puts a range of living things at risk: fire, flood, famine, disease, gross imbalances, asteroid strike, gamma ray burst, etc. About the only way to spread the risk, long-term: getting off and populating another spot.

I'm open to exploration for the sake of the knowledge, more or less. (Within reason.)

I'm not open to a carte blanche approach, simply based on the idea of long-term survival of species.

Might exploration of another planet result in a vast increase in certain resources? Perhaps, for manufacture of things on that planet. Though, I have a hard time believing those resources could be transported elsewhere, given the elementary transport mechanisms that exist. Unless certain resources where extraordinarily valuable and relatively light for the value obtained. (Say, some "unobtainium" that supported design of a hyper-speed vehicle for interplanetary travel.)