View Single Post
Old 10-11-18, 02:22 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1 View Post
American cycling needs to start winning on the pro circuit and that's where I believe they should concentrate their efforts. All that other stuff is just sideline fluff that will likely make the team worse on the pro circuit. It will just spread them thin and be waste of effort. Sorry, but nobody cares about a Grinduro winner or remembers who the last Dirty Kanza winner was, or likely even knows what the heck the Dirty Kanza is. They care about TDF winners and Classics winners. And right now we have nobody that can win a Monument, or even be competitive in one, and we have no Grand Tour threats either. We have no sprinters, and maybe one or two decent climbers and maybe a couple of very average TT riders. We are a huge country of domestiques, while tiny countries like Australia, Great Britain and tiny Eastern European countries that I can't find on a map produce winners. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. This is what needs to change if Americans are going to once again care about cycling.

As you can see, I am down on American cycling right now, and sideshows like this by an American team give me the appearance that they have given up on winning on the pro circuit. Guess Ill check the map and find a rider from Khazikstan or Estonia to root for because they will likely produce a winner before we do.

But I'm approaching 60 years old now and maybe I no longer have any idea what sells these days, so excuse my curmudgeon rant and don't take it personally. So good luck in Red Hook. Its a very nice neighborhood these days...
Nobody in the US cares about european races either. Gaimon is more famous now that he's "retired" and is famous on strava and IG. Rapha's market is not really the wannabe pro anymore, its the Cat 6 rider trying to look cool at the group ride.