View Single Post
Old 10-11-18, 08:15 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not looking to be argumentive, but I am frustrated with the state of cycling in America.

It seems to me we have given up on proper road racing because we refuse to compete. The rest of the world seems to be doing fine in the pro peloton, but not us. We refuse to play by the rules Europe has rightly created for there sport and now we're taking our bikes and going home to ride in something called the Red Hook Crit. We now lean towards sophomoric X Game nonsense which is nothing but a flash in the pan. It might give us instant gratification but it won't have any staying power or make history and it'll be good for a couple of years before the next great thing comes along. In other words, its disposable entertainment, unlike true European road racing that has been with us for over a century and will be around long after America has left the sport.

I'd just like to see us get serious about road cycling again. Even as "troubled" as the pro cycling model is, its far better than an obscure crit race in Brooklyn.