Old 10-12-18, 06:43 AM
mplsbiker

Bikes: 2014 Greg Lemond Washoe, 1973 Schwinn Paramount, 2018 Salsa Beargrease, 2017 Trek 520, 1978 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So as a tall rider myself, 6’ 4” 190lbs, I tour on a 2016 Trek 520 Disc 63cm frame. Even when I have done my best to even out the load front to back and side to side I still experience a lot of frame “shimmy” at speeds over 14mph... The bike is built to handle a lot of weight but I don’t think they put much or any thought into the dynamics of the frame at the larger sizes. It’s sad when you feel unstable going down hill on a bike that is purpose built for loaded long distance touring.

I wish I would have considered AL or even (the ugly IMO) double top tubes of a rivendale... I still have some stuff I can try on this bike 1. A IRD double roller bearing headset and 2. probably a velo orange front wheel stabilizer. If that doesn’t work then I am out of luck and will probably sell the bike or just keep it around as a winter commuter.

I primarily own steel bikes except for a carbon fatbike, so I do appreciate the dampening qualities of steel but in this case it is to much of a good thing. I have mostly kept slient on people criticizing Treks choice for a AL fork on the new 520 but part of me wonders if it does stiffen things up a bit, especially on a bike with disc brakes that can be a good thing.