View Single Post
Old 10-12-18, 09:54 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hmmm View Post
I appreciate your response and I get it, you want American's to win in the TdF, which is odd to me that you chose to derail this thread with your thirst for American winners when EF has riders from 13 nationalities. Their top riders/hope for wins being Uran, Woods, Vanmarcke, & Modelo, all who are not American (Ok, I do wish for a Phinney Roubaix win and Howes in the Ardennes). Only 6 out of the 27 riders on the team are American. First and foremost they are a cycling team with no obligation to fostering and hiring American talent. If they were obligated, they would have signed riders like Sepp Kuss, Neilson Powless, and maybe even Tj Eisenhart along with other promising young American riders. Maybe your passionate nationalist cycling fandom anger should be aimed at USA Cycling and lobbying for support for young riders the way Belguim supports their young riders.

I also disagree with "The rest of the world seems to be doing fine in the pro peloton" because as a non European country, I think the US is doing just fine, just don't compare us to Colombia.

As I said, EF-Drapac is first and foremost a cycling team, which is a marketing tool for the brands that put their names on the team. As people have stated in this thread, gravel racing is experiencing a surge with participants, especially in the US. The Red Hook crit is far from obscure and long distance races like the Transcontinental are gaining in popularity. EF might be the first pro team to take this approach, but many other forms of sponsorship dollars are choosing these routes. Look at an ex continental athlete like Gus Morton who is supported by Specialized and Rapha among others. He goes from riding for a month off the grid in Newfoundland making a film, right into Red Hook, then right into Eroica Italy.

The way sponsors can maximise their exposure is changing, and relying on just wins in major cycling races isn't the smartest way to get the best bang for your buck. I applaud EF and Rapha for this move and can't wait to watch along next year.
Sorry if you think I derailed this thread. I just thought EF Drapac was an American team and should support American cyclists like Cofidis supports French riders . Silly me!

Well, you guys enjoy the Happy Kwanzaa Crit and the Dirty Larry Race or whatever they're called. Should be a blast! 😇