View Single Post
Old 10-12-18, 10:47 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are some decent ideas here. I thought I would offer up a few “educated” thoughts. I have trained K9 Units, taught responsible “ bite work”,served as a decoy for around 30 years, president and training director of multiple dog clubs...

First understand the situation. Dogs, like their wolf immediate relatives, chase things that flee from them, especially in what they consider their territory. They can become very determined when the same individual flees from them on a regular basis. It may be possible to define a dog’s territory and avoid it. Some breeds have instinctually higher prey and defense drive, which should be respected. Many dogs can accelerate up to around 40mph fast, which may make trying to out run them a problem, depending on the “border” of their territory.

From here things get more complicated. I would not suggest that most people do what I would do in these situations. A woman was literally killed relatively recently on the road I now live on by a pitbull that was allowed to roam free. I should have reported the dog as I could see it was becoming a problem. Please! report dogs that become increasingly territorial. Dogs in groups/packs are much more dangerous, even a group of two may be orders of magnitude more dangerous.

Most dogs will not chase something that moves toward instead of away from them, be subtle. This may not hold true for a dog who has become overly territorial. A dog in high defense or prey drive may bite just about anything. It may be possible to offer the offending dog some object that is not part of your body to bite: sticks, bike, clothing not attached to your body....For those inexperienced in doing this though it is risky. Still, if I am riding or walking I make a point of having a staff, walking stick, compact bike pump, even a bike to feed any aggresive dog.

Loud, aggresive, harsh noise typically helps unless you are dealing with an overly territorial dog. Be aware, dogs respond to tones of “words” more than the words. They also respond to more subtle body language than people do, icy stares may work. Pepper spray, venegar, lemon juice, smelling salts etc. may help too. I am thinking about carrying one “water bottle” with a mixture of dog repelant on my bike. The issue here is actually getting a significant amount on the dog. Aim for the nose, dog noses are very sensative.

Last edited by McMitchell; 10-12-18 at 12:29 PM.