Old 10-12-18, 07:44 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jitenshajin View Post
Where are you going to get the fibreglass from?

If you could get fibreglass, how effective would it be especially if the rear drop out had snapped. This tends to be the part of the frame under most stress. I have had a few frames fail in that particular place, rather than anywhere else. There is not much space between the drop out and the hub, which needs to rotate freely with no fouling.

You often see touring cycles massively loaded on the rear, with little on the front. Surely, that is asking for trouble, especially if the rider is heavy.

Personally, I would try and find the bloke with the two car batteries and a stick welder. He might make a rough repair, but hopefully it would hold and you can have a proper frame repair later.

If I had the choice of a fibreglass repair, which is epoxy resin (basically plastic), with small strands of glass in it. Or a repair using steel, which is much stronger and that the bike is already made out of. I would choose steel every time.

Actually a couple dozen ft of 1mm kevlar line and a couple tubes of epoxy could make a good mend where applicable. My experience is that purpose bult bikes very rarely fail. Canít beat some of the early 80ís mtn bikes with big tubes.