View Single Post
Old 10-16-18, 09:39 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 1,358 Posts
This is a great thread. I didn't grow up around these bikes, so I don't have the 'fond memories' angle there. My dad had an old Nishiki in the garage that I didn't think one way or another about.

I helped out at a non-profit that fixed old bikes and donated them. Many of the bikes went to Africa, and because old road bike didn't get sent over there, there were more of them around. A very kind gentleman, and one of the owners of the non-profit, knew that I didn't have a road bike, and gave me a Miyata 710, in steel gray color. I was fresh out of college and having a bicycle to get around way simply lovely. I had that bike for a long time and only once I sold it did I realize how much I missed it. What a great bicycle and it opened my eyes to vintage bikes.

My bicycle interests grew dormant for the first few years I had kids, with a mountain bike hanging up in the rafters. But about a year ago, for some reason, BAM! The passion awoke, and now I've got something like 14 or 17 (who really knows) bikes, mostly old road bikes, in the garage. I pulled down the mountain bike, fixed it up, and now it sees use as well (including commuting to work just yesterday). I ride about 1/4 of them, will fix another 1/4 of them, and will probably donate or trade the other 1/2 of them for something new (ahem, old) and different.

It ticks a lot of boxes...satisfies a lot of urges...scratches a lot of the itches...well, you get it. I love working with my hands. Check! I love rescuing something someone else threw away but that can be rescued, fixed and appreciated. Check! I love the beauty and lines of these old bikes. Check! I love learning something new and challenging. Check! I love donating my time to help others experience bikes. Check! I love doing something that can be a lifelong healthy interest and passion. Check!