Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
That looks absolutely bizarre.
Agreed.
Yours has the IGH, so less dishing needed, but the offset is opposite from what would normally be expected.
Agreed.
Last IGH I built up ended up with about 10% spoke tension difference DS/NDS due to one flange being farther inboard. Don't remember which one.
On this, with the extra axle nut I'd assume it was the DS that's further in, which would make the build reversed from ideal. Some simple measuring should be accurate enough to say if the build design was the right compromise.
It is easy enough to check the wheel dishing with a dishing tool (your LBS should have one).
OP hasn't said anything about any chafing/clearance issues, so I don't think there anything to learn there.
I would think you would get a stronger wheel with a normal cross pattern.
The cross pattern is normal, it's only shifted sideways.
.. I have wondered about crossing the right flange to the left side of the rim, and visa-versa.
Lateral cross. Has been done. Brings a small improvement. Rim has to allow for the nipple to align with the spoke. The bends on the NDS spoke here doesn't look promising for longevity. Having DS and NDS equally bad isn't an improvement.
I'd be tempted to center-drill the rim, see if it'll hold.
But only if I started getting spoke failures.