View Single Post
Old 10-18-18, 12:45 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
You could maintain 20 MPH for 2h30m at night except that it's cold? (It's ok, I am certain I could not, and the cold wouldn't even be the reason.

Whatever duration your light lasts on high, it's never enough. Whatever duration it lasts on medium, it's usually more than a person would need for typical night training rides. And whatever duration the light lasts on low, it is never enough for endurance events that run through the night.

I had an old NightRider (halogen) that lasted me long enough to do 30 mile rides. I never ran it down in a single thirty-mile ride.

I replaced the NightRider with an L&M Urban 900... or maybe 1000; I forget now. That lasted me about five months before a pothole jarred the bike hard enough to cause the light's case to break off at the mount point. Up until that time, the light was fantastic. On medium I could get over three hours, which is long enough to outlast my longest night training rides (usually up to about 26 miles).

When it came time to replace that light, I went with a Light & Motion Taz 1200. It's a little heavier, but the mount point is reinforced with a screw, and the case seems more sturdy. The beam pattern is superior too. So at this point, and until it fails forcing me to find something better, it's the light I recommend.

In the back I have a CygloLite HostShot Pro 150.