View Single Post
Old 10-28-18, 11:28 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
I’d be thrilled if I could get my bike as light as yours. I think the frames got heavier duty throughout the 80s, so I bet mine is just destined to be a little beefier.

Funnily enough it doesn’t have a third bottle mount—just a single braze on the underside of the downtube apparently for a CO2 pump. I wonder if I can somehow repurpose it to more useful ends.

Originally Posted by clasher
I did part of a series on an updated miyata 1000. The stock wheels are definitely heavy... the rear is 40 spoke. I built some ultegra hubs on open pros and had the bike down to 24lbs with fenders and a brooks cambium on it. I didn't really make any effort to save weight on the build, doing it again I would use something like these wheels but maybe build something with a wider rim but mostly the same semi-aero low spoke count wheel. I still like the miyata a lot and find the ride to be incredibly smooth with compass 32mm tires. I do think I'll use the bike on some rides next year. One nice thing about the miyata is the third bottle cage, I miss that when I'm on my carbon road bike.