View Single Post
Old 10-28-18, 03:14 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I could see that it was a woman when I passed in front of the car and could see the driver. To the question about a trike being more dangerous than a regular bike, this is one that is often asked by someone who has not ridden one. The trike is 7 feet long from tip to tail and my head is just about 36" above the pavement. I was also using a very visible flag, not the one that you buy at your local bike shop. I was dressed in bright red sweatpants and orange and brown sweatshirt so clothing should also be visible. It is just that the dog took up the entire space where the driver should have had a clear view.

I have had just one accident in over 40K miles on recumbent trikes. It had to have been an impaired driver. It was a 35 mph zone on a street with 4 regular lanes and a turn lane. Sunday morning at about 11 am in bright sunlight. It is a marked bike route and the road is straight with nothing to block line-of-site. The driver came straight up the right lane and clipped the handlebars on the trike. I lost my mirror and safety light but otherwise neither I nor the trike was damaged.