Old 10-28-18, 10:21 PM
MN Bike Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to PAS ebike per cardiologist's recommendations

I do about 3000 miles a year, with a couple of multi-week tours in there. I never really felt like I had any problems climbing hills with a fully loaded bike (about 100 to 120 pounds). However, about every couple of years I have to get stents - I am now up to 7. Doing a lot of research for why, I came across a book on training for endurance, and the recommendations is not to exceed 180 minus your age. I do not know about others, but with wind or hills, my heart rate shoots up to the 140's, and at 67, I need to be keeping it at 113 bpm. My trip averages are always below 115 bpm, even when I did a 143 mile leg once. So when asking by cardiologist about it, he said that he did a bike trip in Europe and there's pedal assist all over the place. What that means is that I am still do most of the work, just using enough power to keep the heart rate down. Finished a 583 mile trip in late September in the Minnesota Iron range, with lots of steep grades, and a couple days of strong winds (+25mph). Longest days were around 80 miles, with most targeted for 60 miles. Never ran out of power on any day, since I would fully charge the battery each night, so you can tour with an e-bike, if you use pedal assist. I wanted to keep my "retirement" bike - Comotion Americana with Rholoff and decouplers. Also, I was concerned about durability and maintenance on a tour, which is why I popped for the Rholoff and Gates belt drive there is basic nothing to worry about on a trip; no chain to lube, or wear out. A Gates belt gives you about 10,000 miles and the Rholoff hub needs an oil change once a year. After a lot of searching, and saw a lot of comments about gears wearing out, I went with a 1000 watt direct drive front hub (no gears) from e-Bikes Canada. It does weigh about 15 pounds, but I have been touring with front panniers, so I am used to that. Added a 11.8 amp hour 52 volt battery. I figured I need the wattage for the touring load, now at 120 lb. Turns out I never used more than 300 watts on 8 to 10 per cent grades. So, if you want to take the wind and hills out of the picture, and still travel, you can do it with an pedal assist e-Bike. Also, if I want to go local with out the motor, I just swap out the front wheels, and I am back to the original setup.