rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop View Post
Thank you for starting this thread - I'm in downtown SLO if anyone local wants to train together. I'm targeting the 75 mile route.

I'm doing this for the first time and am just starting to collect parts for a "new" build based around a Guerciotti Record frame. Here's my question about gearing -- it seems contradictory to me that that you have this "vintage" bike ride on a course that requires mortal riders to gear their bikes almost to the point of a mountain bike. I've seen Eroica bikes equipped with mountain bike derailleurs and 32 cog cassettes mounted to modern freehubs and 36 inner chainrings. This seems odd to me. I'm in my early 50's and fit and I plan to run Campy Super Record all around, which likely means 52/42 with a 14-28 freewheel. I'm prepared to do a little walking if needed, but the purist in me wants to avoid going outside the spirit of the event.

Am I going about this wrong?
No, you're just going about it the way you want to, the way that makes you happy.
Everyone approaches this celebration of fellowship and vintage equipment in their own way. Enjoy it and appreciate the way others enjoy it as well.