Old 11-04-18, 12:32 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by boggy
For some folks commuting long distance to work every day is a challenge on a bike. Longer distances require fast road bikes, and those in turn require special gear, cycling shorts, shoes with cleats, jerseys, etc. I was doing it for years, and the whole washing up with baby wipes and hang your gear to dry all over your office routine can get unmanageable. Eventually I was pretty much forced to switch back to my car, after our office was moved to a high rise building.

E-bike allows me to get to work sweat free, and do work out on way home. E-bike can enable people to ride more often, longer distances, more places. E-bike can allow people with permanent injuries to get back into saddle. There is a lot of potential for those bikes.
This is the appeal to me. I would LOVE to cycle to work but at 34 miles, if i were even fit enough to do so, it would take ME about three hours. After the I work 24 hours and then come home exhausted the next day. No way am I doing 34 miles half-asleep on a peddle bike. Now, an e-bike where I have help getting over the hills and can go max-assist on the way home....? Tempting. I don't have three grand to drop on one though. Perhaps some day there will be government incentives, like e-cars have now.

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix