View Single Post
Old 11-04-18, 07:14 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Coincidently, my ride today was on one of Rhode Island's multi-use paved bike paths (it's a rails-to-trails initiative) East Bay Bike Path - Rhode Island Rhode Island Department of Transportation. I hadn't ridden on it since early spring this year. On that ride, I had gotten so frustrated at how dilapidated it had become. Lots of tree roots, frost heaves, etc. Not long after that ride I recall reading in the local newspapers that the state DOT had earmarked money to fix the trail. Myself, and other cyclists were elated. Now, it's in really good condition. But WOW...the letters to the editor by the non-cycling public were completely contrary. Lots of comments like "How dare you spend money repairing a bike path while children are going to bed hungry" and similar comments. So, if in your state these trails fail under the care of the state DOT, you have to make sure you vote for (or weigh your support for) bonds and other initiatives that set aside money to create, and care for the trails.

Dan