Old 11-05-18, 02:09 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, @DrIsotope's philosophy. Life is too short to put lead filled garden hose on our wheels.

Only one of my bikes has heavy duty puncture resistant tires, my heavy comfort hybrid which mostly serves as my errand bike now. It weighs nearly 40 lbs with rear rack, panniers, etc., so the 1,100 gram Michelin Protek Cross Max tires don't add much weight (those tires weigh more than some carbon racing frames). No puncture flats in three years, even when I've picked broken glass, nails, screws and radial tire wire out of the tread. I wouldn't want those tires on my sportier hybrid.

I've ridden Schwalbe One V-Guards and Continental Ultra Sport II on my road bike. Both very comparable in performance and road feel. The Schwalbes have a thin puncture shield but I doubt it accomplishes much. The Conti supposedly has no puncture shield I've had fewer punctures than with the Schwalbes -- mostly because the Contis are tougher without sacrificing too much in rolling resistance. Haven't found any reason to put Gatorskins or comparable tires on my road bike. The Ultra Sport II may be the best value for road bikes and sporty hybrids on decent pavement. I just do my part to avoid glass and shoulder debris. One puncture flat with the Ultra Sports, back in the spring -- I could hear the glass tinkle a split second before the pssssstttt!

My main hybrid has recently gone from Conti Speed Rides -- dry condition cyclocross type tires with minimal puncture shield -- to Conti Sport Contact II, with thicker tread and sidewalls and some puncture shield. They weigh about the same but feel very different. Decent puncture resistance, and I can't see any reason to put Schwalbe Marathons or Conti Gatorskins on that bike. I didn't get many flats with the Speed Rides, and most of those occurred within the first two months when I experimented with more off road/no-road riding to test the tread grip and handling -- lots of goathead grass burr punctures, and one from broken glass. None since in nearly two years. The Sport Contact II set have been on the bike only a couple of weeks and seem good. 50-60 psi feels about right for my weight (160) and riding conditions.