View Single Post
Old 04-15-03, 08:36 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that analytical cycling site is fine and dandy BUT you also have to take into consideration reliablity VS performance. If you are strictly racing than you may have to sacrifice reliability to gain a performance advantage. However if your not racing than a good 28, 32 or 36 hole spoke rim are the most reliable and you should use more spokes in the rear since that is where most of the weight and stresses are place. Tandems and heavy touring bikes use 40 and 48 spoke rims-why? for reliability. If your a heavy guy, over 200lbs than I would go 36 in rear and 32 in front otherwise 32 in rear and 28 in front should be fine.

But overall the most gain from weight reduction is in rotational mass. I use 36 spoke rims (only because back when I bought my first race bike in 79 high strength wheels were not around and the common belief was the stiffer 36 spoked wheel would flex less thus transmitting more power and I still use the Suntour Superbe hubs from that period), I did realize years later that 36 was an overkill especially with better modern rims so when I bought my Torelli Master Series rims, I laced them with DT Revolution spokes to cut down on rotational weight. These spokes are almost as light a TI spokes without the expense or constant adjusting.

Also there is a spoke company called Saniens (I think that's the name) make a superstrong bladed spoke that fits non slotted hubs-in other words hubs with round spoke holes, that slice through the air turbulance with ease.

Last edited by froze; 04-15-03 at 08:46 PM.