View Single Post
Old 11-08-18, 07:21 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
On salt and corrosion: this is a topic commonly discussed here. Some ideas on how to better deal with this:
  • Store the bike inside
  • Regularly spray it down (after each ride to once a week). No hose for that? Use a $15 hand pump garden sprayer
  • Replace steel parts with stainless steel or aluminum parts, as much as feasible.
  • Fenders AND mudflaps. Particularly long ones on the front to avoid spray against the bottom bracket. I cut out a section of an old tire to be used as long mudflap. Use a metal brace to keep it 'open'/wide.
  • There are chains with a corrosion protective coating. I'm running one of them without issues, but I'm unsure if the chain can be attributed to that.
  • Lube... really thick stuff will attract lots of gunk... I personally use very thin stuff and lube often (prolink). But will try wax based lines next when current bottle is empty.

Last edited by alias5000; 11-11-18 at 08:01 AM. Reason: corrected all those android auto-correct mistakes. grrr