Old 11-09-18, 09:13 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
As long as many mtb trail systems do not allow ebikes, they will not take over in that arena.
MTB trails is one singular area I agree with prohibitions. The extra torque can rip up deformable surfaces much easier, and IMO if you don't have the physical capability to power yourself on a MTB trail, you probably don't have the physical dexterity and reflexes to ride MTB trails. I.e., an ebike can allow you to get yourself into a lot more trouble on a technical or fast trail.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Motoring speed is something that's possible to do on the roads, but who will protect the MUP, the bike paths and the trails?
The same people who do now against group rides pushing 20MPH?

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Actually, it was the temptation for modification that I was alluding to. Manufactures have to adhere to those design limitations, but personal users do not. This is my greatest fear with E-bikes. I suspect its only a matter of time.
Probably, but the issue already exists with mopeds. Most jurisdictions allow a displacement and/or speed limit, it really isn't that hard for a home mechanic to take something that was manufactured legally and soup it up and get to lower end motorcycle performance. Handle it the same way: deal with it on a case by case basis as it is discovered.

In the Detroit area, it is already incredibly common to see bikes with weed whacker engines mounted on them, which effectively are mini motorcycles. Occasionally, they are even on the MUPs. Other than the smell of two stroke engines, which I fully admit I don't care for in such an environment, they aren't particularly any more a danger than group riders without situational awareness. Heck, if we want to take it a step further, bike haven Netherlands allows mopeds and motorcycles (and even tiny cars) on a lot of the cycle infrastructure, I never felt a danger.