Old 11-15-18, 12:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottybigs
Keeping this thread alive. I road an almost-century (145 km...really should have done donuts in the parking lot or something) last week, and feel like my Schwinn Voyageur SP is in that near-perfect build phase for getting up to the 200km brevet level.

It's at 26lbs now (without the bag), which is getting into a great weight for a fully equipped bike. I've got a pair of 700c Pacenti Brevets waiting to be laced to 105 hubs, which will drop almost 1 lb off the wheels since the A319's are boat anchors, as are the vintage hubs and freewheel.

I do wish that the frame was made of Reynolds 725 or Kaisei tubing, not because of the weight savings per se, but because of the flex and performance. Tange 2 is great, but my 725 Wabi frame is noticeable stiffer and more responsive.

One thing I've been mulling over is geometry. The Schwinn has 44cm chainstays to account for rear panniers, and 72/72 frame angles. Does anyone ride brevets with mid-range chainstays (42cm) and 73/73 angles? How does it feel?

That does look great! What specs do you have in mind for the new wheels? Those are a good place to save weight -- if you're careful not to add it back inadvertently.

P.S. There might be a little "opportunity" in that seat post, too...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-15-18 at 12:56 PM.