View Single Post
Old 11-19-18, 08:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlikeme
Hoi im currently cycling cross country and now in lake city CO and want to cross the engineer pass but dont know if a pass is closed due to snow can you still go on with your bicycle? Are you not breaking the law then? till now i went over a few passes with snow it was hard but i made it.

Jerry
Engineer Pass is closed to wheeled motor vehicles. That probably because the Forest Service doesn't want to deal with hauling cars out of the snow nor with the bodies of the people who get stuck up there all winter. It is unlikely closed to skiers, foot traffic or snow mobiles.

That said, trying to cross that pass this time of year is a risky proposition even on skis. It's high and a long trip. Trying to cross it while dragging a bicycle would make it an even longer trip. And you will be dragging the bike most of the way. The San Jauns get a lot of snow and the snow storms can be brutal. I would suggest that if you try to cross it, you might want to recruit 5 other people. Provisions.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!