View Single Post
Old 11-20-18, 09:42 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
I see- with the Tektro and other “triangle” yokes, the straddle cable goes thru the yoke, instead of just being suspended by it.

Check out the Cable Yoke thread!!!

Grail Straddle Cable Yokes!
Thanks for the link. That was useful as well as entertaining.

I've been a dim bulb about this. I've never had a set of modern cantilevers before, and had somehow assumed that the Shimano-style straddle cable--where the brake cable itself goes through the center fitting and forms half of the straddle cable--was somehow specific to the Tektro brakes. If I'd taken the time to look more closely, I would have found (as I just confirmed) that a standard Dia-Compe-type single-ended straddle cable fits right into the Tektro calipers.

Now all I have to do is attach one of those j-shaped cable yokes to the brake cable. I assume that anything will work--Mafac, Dia-Compe, Weinman, whatever. I have tons of those kicking around. Then it's just a matter of unhooking one end of the straddle cable from the brake, and unhooking the yoke from the straddle cable to break things down for packing.

I can often figure out difficult problems on my own. It's the easy ones I need help with. Thanks again!

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash