Old 11-21-18, 04:17 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
California fires now added as argument against bike lanes etc.

I was just coming home in the car, and on the radio (KGO) the talk host was slamming "road diets" because it made it difficult for people to evacuate in case of a fire. I got the idea this show was from Southern California, BTW it's raining really hard right now in Northern California, but the argument was that people will die because of these changes to major streets. The one lady was outraged because it took longer than her usual few minutes to get out of her hilly neighborhood with only one road for access than it used to after the road was dieted. Also they threw in the 18 business that went broke argument after the diet was imposed. Is there any truth in that? And the other argument that the residents had no say in the matter.

That last "no say" argument is just so wrong. In my area the meetings and public comment opportunities are legion. But people don't come, I went to some and no one was really there except cyclist advocates. I am a cyclist but also a resident. I spoke against one pet project and they didn't know how to react. After that I now pay attention what's going on. And I think they recognize that I might be showing up.

Thank God for the rain, I almost went out for a ride just to enjoy it. My bike is pretty good in the rain, practical fenders and all but it was a bit too hard for me. I find if I'm riding and the rain starts that's one thing, but looking out the door into a heavy storm, well that's another.