Old 11-22-18, 12:40 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
For Blompson/OP,

I've been riding a Gitane Interclub since 1974 and love the bike and the ride. I really like the other bikes in the stable, including a custom Serotta and Bruce Gordon, but there is something about a Gitane and the history of the company, including Greg LeMond, that makes it special. FWIW, I'm happy to share what I know about the Purple SC and some other candidates in the Portland, Seattle, and Bellingham areas:

The Purple SC:

1. Has been listed multiple times on CL and I recall seeing it for more ($795?) earlier this year. For reference points, I saw another purple SC on CL in SoCal for around $900 as well. On Pinkbike.com, you can also find a really nice red SC that sold for $1200 last year. SCs can be pricey and I doubt you'll find an inexpensive one, especially if it is all Campy and sports a Ideale saddle in good shape.

2. Beautiful color and trim and looks to be in outstanding condition - ready to ride with minimal changes.

3. The seller is attached to it but must sell it because of space, etc. so he may be open to offers.

4. The mix of Simplex and Campy components is a little strange and the hanger work adds to the mystery. I hate to say it but I suspect that this is a juiced up Tour de France. Caveat emptor!

5. Check out the bike, meet the seller, take it for a test ride and let us know the outcome!

Vintage French Road Bikes:

1. Not for the faint of heart, these French bikes are like jealous lovers and require more patience, love and understanding. For some of us, it is worth it but if not, there are great Italian, English, Japanese and even American bikes that are a joy to own and far easier to maintain and find parts for.

2. However, there is nothing like the ride of a Gitane. In addition to riding the 74 Interclub, I built up a 1972 TDF last winter, and bought the earlier referenced red SC on eBay in October. I needed a winter project and it is rare to find a XL frame in a color that I like. The build-up is underway for this all-Campy SC.

3. For any vintage bike you are considering, check out the catalog for the time period that you are considering. That way you can arm yourself with knowledge and question the seller why this was changed or that was done. For Gitanes, go to GitaneUSA.com for catalogues, and other forums, photos, info, etc. to supplement what you learn here at BF.

4. If the SCs seem pricey, there are some nice "single owner" TDFs for sale on CL in Portland, Seattle and Bellingham. You can probably snag a nice TDF for $200 - 400 if you enjoy the hunt. The ride of a TDF may be nearly identical to a SC given that they shared a Reynolds 531 frame. The green TDFs are nice looking but there are some good looking orange, blue and white ones as well. Occasionally, a metallic gold one will appear although they seem to be really unusual.

5. I place a greater value on "single owner" bikes because of the info that the owners are willing to share and if you are really lucky, they'll have additional components and documentation to throw into the mix. I enjoyed learning about the owner of the red SC that I just bought. He was a Princeton/Yale grad, attorney who started his own firm, lifelong sailor and cyclist, etc. He passed away in 2006 and his children were at a loss what to do with the bike, hence it was placed on eBay.

6. Smart move to reach out to others on BF. You won't find a more knowledgeable and experienced group anywhere. I'm constantly floored by the breadth and depth of expertise of these contributors and they can also be pretty funny too.

In summary, give that Purple SC a close look, ask questions, test ride it over a bunch of hills to test the climbing and breaking, and let us know what you learn!

Good luck,

Brian