View Single Post
Old 11-25-18, 12:13 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I use Shimano M324 pedals, they have SPD on one side and platform on the other side.

When it gets below freezing, due to the higher risk of slipping on the ice I prefer platform side of the pedal and I wear Merrill Moab waterproof hiking shoes. I find they are usually warm enough but when it gets closer to about 20 degrees (F) I sometimes wear hiking boots that are a bit warmer than the Merrills.

When I bought some studded tires and stopped worrying about slipping on the ice, I found that I still preferred hiking shoes over SPDs in sub freezing weather.

In cold weather I often use Dexshell Hytherm Pro waterproof socks, plus a liner sock underneath. But I suspect your neoprene socks are warmer than the Dexshell. I wanted waterproof for those times that you might suddenly have to stop in a puddle and put your foot down in the puddle. The socks are not very warm compared to wool, but the waterproof membrane makes them windproof.

A friend of mine uses Lake bike shoes but I have not tried them myself.

Above freezing I have a pair of SPD shoes that are a half size larger than I really should wear. That gives me room for a thicker pair of wool socks for above freezing weather. They are vented like all good bike shoes but a set of toe covers usually is all I need. But sometimes I put a plastic bag over my sock before I put myshoe on to keep the wind out.

You might get some good input in the commuter forum too.