Old 12-05-18, 12:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
I used a spreadsheet for a couple years, many years ago now. I created a SS with a training plan which I created using Friel. Each week was a line, with calculated totals off the the right. The next line was what I did, with totals. Problem was that the the totals didn't numerically reflect training stress. So that didn't work at all for me. I blew up after only a couple of months. After that, I quit using planning software and only recorded my training. I was using Polar devices and software back then and the recording software was free. I also happened upon an application (one-time purchase) which had an interactive training plan built into it. Unfortunately, their sales volume wasn't enough to keep up with the costs of maintenance as the Windows platform changed and they went out of business. I still use the software, but have to virtualize it on an XP platform. It was called PC Coach. It helps keep me organized to some extent as I periodize my way through the year.

Now I use TrainingPeaks Premium, a pay-for, because it's a lot cheaper than making training errors. A little money in exchange for improved performance over the long haul.

I don't need video or stuff like that to keep me entertained on my resistance rollers. IMO all that stuff is a distraction which prevents me from paying 100% attention to my work on the bike. It's be like being a manager who watched cable news all day. We have a good example of that now. A few weeks ago, a good friend walked in on me during a training session. I said, "Hi" and was on the floor in an instant. Concentration on the job at hand is critical for max improvement for minimum time spent.