View Single Post
Old 12-06-18, 06:27 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I hope you realize the highlighted portion of your own post is saying much the same thing as post 13-14-15 by the realists?
That's why the highlighted text you quoted starts with, "they are basically right."

The culture of ridicule and thus stifling of innovation and progress are extremely widespread and deep. Progress = mopping with the faucet on. Many negative people simply don't have the choice to shift gears to become optimistic and think constructively about change. Their minds are addicted to realism. Even the stock market is set up in such a way that optimism can be used to drive up stock prices for a while before negativity is used to crash them so that short-sellers can cash in on the failure and then re-invest the profits back in the status quo stocks that are less susceptible to ridicule driving them down.

What you fail to understand about me when you are arguing against me is that I understand the realistic attitude you, ILTB, and some others espouse. The difference with me is that I don't see any hope of sustainability in maintaining course with the status quo when it is so obvious that sprawl and deforestation are ruining the planet. Industrialism is only about a century old and the human species has been around much MUCH longer. Burning carbon faster than it can be absorbed by nature is obviously unsustainable, as is using nuclear fuel faster than it is replenished via meteors from distant supernovae or however it is delivered to Earth. We have to live within the margins of how the Earth functions naturally or we will gradually undermine the overall health of the planet and its climate.

I get the sense people like you don't care because you only care about the next century or maybe one or two millennia into the future. You think it's crazy to develop a way of life that leaves the planet better for each subsequent generation instead of worse. I don't understand that. I like to work, when it's productive. You think I don't like to work because I see pitfalls in many aspects of the economic status quo, but I am very eager to work toward reforestation and transportation reform, if people would ever stop resisting those.

Last edited by tandempower; 12-06-18 at 06:34 AM.