Old 12-06-18, 06:46 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I'll add that using the brake pads to judge axle bearing free play is not the best method. Why? Because if the wheel has enough flex to allow it to contact the pads, due to only the wheel's flexibility, this can be mistaken for hub slop. Both will have a bit of what Tom called a "thunk" (not a bad description). If the pads are set close to the rim then this misconstrued feeling will happen more easily. I grab the rim/tire and a stay/blade and with my fingers/hands wiggle or push/pull the rim to either side to feel any bearing slop. No pads are involved. If I'm doing this near the brake then I open it up if I have to, this insure only the hub's condition is felt. Andy
As a matter of fact, I did undo the release on the brake levers (Campagnolo) to get extra clearance and make sure they weren't hitting the pads and giving off a knock, thunk or thud from that contact. And when they were clear of the pads, absolutely no knock/thunk/thud. The bearings have no slop at all.

So I guess you and Noglider are confirming that wheels do have some natural flexibility to them? I was pretty sure that this was what I was dealing with, but don't have enough experience to know for certain.