Old 12-06-18, 10:24 PM
chobbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have long wanted to take a framebuilding class, and someday I may. Right now I have a career that I love but it keeps me tied to a desk. Framebuilding is an creative outlet; it will never be a paying proposition. I am fortunate enough to be able to spend the money for a class without trying to justify it as anything other than a very wonderful two week vacation.

What I don't have is the time. I may retire in the next four or five years and then it would be an option. Instead I lurk on three Framebuilding forums, watch a lot of videos and destroy a lot of tubes. One thing I have discovered is that I have wasted enough money on stuff that I don't use to put a down payment on a class. I bought a used 80/20 homemade jig off ebay that is pretty useless. It did give me enough parts to make a fork jig that works well. Best money I have spent is a granite surface table, some tubing blocks, some cheap 123 blocks and a "christmas tree" frame alignment tool. And a Paterek book.

I will never challenge the masters, but this fall for my 60th birthday I rode a gravel century on a 650b build of my own. So yeah, it's totally worth it.

Charles Hobbs