Old 12-07-18, 07:34 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bicycling has room for a lot of cottage industries. Of course the frame builders are the royalty, but there are also people who just paint them. Some make decals, head badges, bags, racks, fancy electonics, etc. There are guys who repair tubular tires, integrated shifters, internally geared hubs, and other stuff that's too expensive to throw away but that bike shops won't tackle anymore.

I'd love to take the course, invest in the tooling, and build frames. For that matter, I'd love to make guitars, but that's another long story. No, I'm not going to do it. Instead I decided to a different cycling related cottage industry, leather bike saddles. Hardly anyone is doing that.