Old 12-07-18, 01:55 PM
mstateglfr
Sunshine

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '87 Schwinn Prelude, '90 Fuji Saratoga, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2795 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft View Post
I'm interested in taking UBI's beginner framebuilding class - enough to have made the trip to meet them and inspect their facilities. All looks good but there is one sticking point: what do I do with these new skills after the class ends? (Sure, you come away from the class with your own frameset (sans fork) but for the amount of the $3000 tuition, I can have a custom builder build a better frame than I can build myself.)

I posed this question to the nice chap from UBI, who suggested going into business as a framebuilder. Sorry, that's not going to happen. I then asked if I could use their framebuilding tools and facilities after the class ends, but he nixed that idea, mumbling something about their insurance concerns.

I'm not willing to spend more than a couple of hundred dollars on tools (I don't have any framebuilding tools),

Thoughts or advice?
if you think you wouldn't build a frame thst you would want to use for coming years, then a frame building class may not be an ideal use of money and time.

I took a class locally last winter and built a road frame + fork(for less than thst ubi price) that is my favorite road bike by far.
admittedly, the teacher did a good bit of brazing so I didn't do a ton of that, but everything else was me/us working together. Him teaching and going thru the steps ensured I learned and ended up with an excellent bike.

I plan to build another frame on my ownthis coming fall and will spend the coming months getting the necessary parts and tools. Much time will be spent practicing brazing so i am confident and good with the frame.
The skills I learned by making the frameset may not be very transferable, but it was still a confidence boosting experience and fun.
the budget you want to spend to build at home really won't be enough, so perhaps a handbuilt frame by one of those great local builders is a better idea.