Old 12-08-18, 05:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Excellent tip, Tim. I'm gonna pester my LBS for one of those next time I visit.

Well, the chain keeper on my Univega hybrid turned out to be useful tonight. I decided to put fenders on since it's been raining. Normally I do dirty bike work outdoors but... it's raining.

I don't have a workstand so I removed the rear wheel and reinserted the quick release/axle to prop the bike on the Cycleops trainer in the living room. It was handy to not have to lay newspapers down to keep the chain off the carpet, or to remove the chain. Even with Missing Links it's not handy with a dirty chain, and I've decided to go with wet lube rather than wax for this bike over the winter. I always run waxed chains on my road bike since I don't ride it when it's wet. Cleaner to handle but wax doesn't stand up to steady rain as well as Park CL-1, which forms a tenacious film after a few days exposed to air, a bit like a cross between grease and tacky wax. It'll hold up all winter here. But the chains are mucky no matter how much I wipe 'em down.

Okay, yup, that chain keeper is useful.

I'm also reminded how much attention to detail Univega put into some of their frames, even on their mid-range bikes. Besides the chain keeper there are extra places to mount fenders, racks, etc., that I hadn't noticed before. No need for ugly kludge fixes like clamp-ons to support racks or visible clips to anchor the rear fender. This thing was sold as a "lite" version of their classic late '80s-early '90s mountain bikes, but it's more of a touring frame made to appear trendy with a flat bar. It's now wearing a Nitto albatross bar. Now I need to find a good looking front rack to bolt onto the mid-fork boss.