Old 12-08-18, 01:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Not that route, but I've been working on finding ways to make it up the McKenzie Highway without being on the McKenzie Highway. I've gotten it so that I can avoid about 80% of the main highway. It would be a little further if just a little work was put into making it more convenient. For example, there are several roads that come within 1 mile of each other, but don't connect for one reason or another, and one major bridge was de-decked. Paving logging roads?

I had looked at the coast route a while ago, and there are a few places where one can easily bump off of the main highway, and get 5 or 10 miles on back roads (adding some distance to the route). Perhaps good signs and marking them, such as put a curvy green lane around corners.

Unfortunately a lot of the route is still on the main highway.

How much work would it be to cut bike lanes around the bad spots? I know there are a lot of steep cliffs, but say cut a 5 foot (rather narrow) path into the cliff face, with good guard rails. It could be quite spectacular.

I'd much rather see a 5 foot trail created than widen HWY 101 by 5 feet to add narrow shoulders. The cost might not be that different (of course, a bike trail only marginally helps vehicles).

No doubt a 400 mile bike path would be very expensive. However, it could well be heavily used. It wouldn't, however, be a bike path, but used by dogs, joggers, beach access, interstate hikers, etc.

When will they really start working on the Salmonberry Trail?
https://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/...he-green-light

One step at a time?