wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Hoping it all works out, I've done as close to a "test pedal" as I can by using it so little. It's felt like an albatross hanging over me this last year, what with having to remember to move it on street sweeping days and run it up so the battery didn't die.
Anyone have any regrets or encounter any situations right after they went car-free where they wished they hadn't done it? Just trying to be fully prepared.
I got rid of my car in March 2014, for similar reasons - remembering to move the car, starting it to keep the battery from dying, and just generally keeping it maintained was no longer worth it. Part of the $1200 I got for it was immediately invested in a good cargo trailer and an older geared hardtail MTB (all my other bikes at the time were fixed gear).

I cannot think of any situations that caused difficulty - immediately after selling the car, or in general, in the past close to five years. The only unanticipated result was that the homeowner's insurance bill went up, as I previously had a bundle discount with the car insurance. (Should have known that, though.)

It's also worth noting that when we got rid of the family car, we were new to the area (so no friends/family who we could really ask for rides) in an area that, at the time, had incredibly unreliable cab service, limited public transit, and no Uber/Lyft (I think they came in 2016). So, getting rid of the car really meant sticking to human-powered transportation - walking and biking!