Old 12-13-18, 11:23 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by jockstick
After a lot of deliberation, I think I'll go with the following for extra low gearing as I want to take this bike touring (I wish I could post links below):
  • 50-34 compact crankset
  • 13-28 cassette
It's about the same price as swapping out the rear derailleur (sjscycles has a really good price on the crankset) but this way I also get a fresh set of chainrings and won't risk getting a dud used derailleur or have to replace my chain to a 9 speed (just replaced it).
That 34-28 low gear will be a lot lower than your current 39-23. 40% lower! That's about 3-4 rear shifts, depending on tooth counts.

But the 34F-28R still just the same as many new 11-speed road bikes. But even my triple's approximately 1:1 low gearing, 30F-29R, isn't low enough for steep climbs on rough roads or a big load. My triple is great for all-day rides carrying the day's supplies -- the middle 39 chainring is perfect for flat to rolling terrain, and the 30 small chainring is pretty good on climbs. I'd like even smaller, though, a 28 or 26 small chainring.

For touring, carrying a fairly heavy load up a moderate to steep grade will be hard work with a 34-28. It should work okay for lightweight loads.

Lower gearing
Can you switch to a triple crankset? That would really help.
Or some riders are getting small cranksets, like a 30-46. They tend to be expensive, though.

EDIT--
I don't know much about square taper cranksets or 7-speed compatibility, but this one from sjscycles is 110 / 74 sized. It should fit 30 & 46 chainrings.
Thorn crankset

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-13-18 at 11:37 AM.