Old 12-13-18, 01:26 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I started with Friel about 20 years ago, in my 50s. I've also used Brzycki - A practical Approach to Strength Training - and Gethin - Body by Design. Except for Friel there's not too much out there which fits my needs, which are about the same as the OP's or any older rider who wants to keep riding hard. And skiing and running, hiking, backpacking, etc., etc. IOW stay young. With a hoody and mask, I fool myself into thinking no one would know how old I am. That's the idea, anyway.

In the Army, I used the gym, ran, and skied a lot. Funniest thing, every Army base has a gym. In '79 my wife and I joined our first gym to prepare for a season fishing in Alaska. That got us hooked as it were, and we've been gym members ever since. It'd be tough to duplicate a gym at home. A gym has: a real squat rack with safety bars and plates from 2.5 to 45 and plenty of them, dumbbell pairs every 5 lbs from 5 to 150+ (I only need 10-60 but I use all of those), kettlebells from 20-50 (for me), padded plain benches, bench press and incline bench press, plus padded benches with variable angle, a back machine, leg extension machine, Roman chair, assisted chin and dip machine, leg sled, lat pulldown machine, horizontal row machine, equipment for cable triceps and biceps work, and probably stuff I've forgotten to list. My wife and I use all of this stuff every week. And it's important to do many different exercises, because one really needs to work every muscle in the body in a progressive manner to avoid injury and retain freedom of movement. And the real issue then becomes that we only rest 1 minute between sets/exercises because that's how you build endurance, get the job done quickly, and avoid injury. Too long between lifts is a big mistake IMO. So you don't have time to convert one machine into another, add or subtract dumbbell plates. etc.

So that's my home gym opinion: it'll be cheaper and safer and you'll get better results with a gym membership. Plus you'll run into many people who know a lot more about strength work than any of us here. I've learned a tremendous amount from being in gyms all these years, from the Army until now. And I'm still learning. I tend to stay away from youtube content because it's so variable. If you do watch that stuff, watch women. They're more reliable and are more likely to be demoing stuff that works for cyclists. I mostly use exrx.net for strength training information. And not least - one injury can ruin your whole season and we don't have that many of them left.

And yeah, I have opinions on program, too. I use 2-day/week programs. More than that cuts into my aerobic work and that's not good at all. With 2 days/week, you'll make progress. With 1 day/week you can hold onto strength in the lifts you can do in that one day. So I do 2/week until April 1, then 1 day/week for the summer. I usually take August and September off from real training and just have fun, then start all over again at the beginning in October.

The routines I've developed, complete with PDF downloads for all the workouts can be found scattered throughout this thread: Introduction to strength training for the endurance athlete

Some decent theory can be found here:
https://www.t-nation.com/training/ma...ent-training-1
https://www.t-nation.com/training/ma...ent-training-2
Maybe? But it actually depends more on your goal and at what level you're starting from.