Old 12-14-18, 06:55 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulF
Hi everyone, I have an 80's bike that I'm considering converting to a single speed/fixed gear bike. This will be my first ss bike and I've never been through the process of converting a bike to ss. I have a few questions and I'm looking for some guidance.

1. I'm considering a flip flop hub so I can try ss and fixed gear and choose which one I like. Any downside to going with the flip flop option?
2. Should I retro fit the current wheels, or is there value to buying wheels that were designed for a ss/fixed from factory?
3. I want a front brake just because I have never ridden without brakes. Any downsides or reasons why I shouldn't have a front brake?
4. Is there anything I should be considering that maybe I haven't? I have zero knowledge on the subject so anything you can share will be helpful!

Here are some pictures of the bike I want to do the conversion on.
Looks like a good candidate for a conversion.

1) No downside to running a flip flip hub.
2) Retrofitting the current wheel will involve having a bike shop re-dish it, or if you're going the flip flop hub route, pretty much rebuilding the wheel around that new hub. Imo, it would be easier (if your budget allows) to buy a quality but affordable set of single speed wheels, something along the lines of a Sun rim/Formula hub combo. Velomine has them for a reasonable price.
3) The only downside to having a brake is if you're really worried about missing out on the opportunity to get hurt. Use a brake, and ideally, use a rear one as well.
4) That's hard to answer, depends on what you're gonna do with the bike. You mention flip flop, so if your plans include riding fixed, consider getting foot retention. And if you think you might convert the bike back to it's original geared state, maybe get some covers for the down tube shifter bosses. Other than that, you'll have to feel it out as you go.

Good luck, have fun, and as always - post some pics of the conversion process because hey, we're bike nerds who like to see these builds come together.

Last edited by j_e_r_e_m_y; 12-14-18 at 06:59 PM.