View Single Post
Old 12-16-18, 08:08 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I used latex a couple of times, for a couple of years each time, and eventually went back to butyls each time. I think my latex adventures are over (hm, that sounds dodger than it's supposed to )
Pluses:
Lighter than butyl
A noticeably smoother, more supple ride, although IMO you need a good high-TPI tire like an Open Corsa to take full advantage of this
Supposedly more puncture resistant, as the tube yields to intrusions, rather than the intrusion penetrating - I never noticed and significant difference in flat frequency - see below
Negatives:
A PITA to install - requires some talc, and the thin flexible tube is easily pinched - I carried a standard butyl tube for on-the-road flats - I can't imagine trying to install a latex by the roadside - others may have better luck
Despite a rep for puncture resistance, in my experience, several latexes just flatted JRA, with no obvious cause. It was this last characteristic that drove me back to butyls. FWIW, I used Vittorias - other brands might be better
Latexes leak air, requiring significant topping up before rides. I top up each time anyway, but it's pretty convenient, with butyls, to find that almost no topping up is required.