Old 12-17-18, 03:18 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I live in central Missouri. It's already dipped into the single digits, but it rarely gets any colder. I haven't been riding lately because of mechanical issues with my current bike and wanting to find out a good way to ride without getting sick.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Regarding the "lungs felt strange" and worried about pneumonia if what you mean is an itchy feeling and needing to cough up mucus yes that can happen when cold dry air shocks your mucus membranes and it is exacerbated by more strenuous exercise. The irritation stimulates production of histamines which causes mucus, doesn't feel that bad while you're still going but gets worse after you stop and get inside. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago in fact, gave me a coughing fit and felt like breathing was constricted.
That's exactly what I experience when riding in cooler weather. I don't really feel cold otherwise except my hands (because on that day I didn't wear gloves.) But it was only in the mid-40s on that morning.

There are some other people at our university who ride their bikes in pretty cold weather - some even making the commute from longer distances and do it even when there's snow on the ground.