Old 04-16-03, 03:47 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For slow, smooth, constant-rate in-the-saddle hill climbing, the effort required is roughly proportional to the combined weight of rider, bicycle, and all attached accessores. In this case, an extra kg or two of bicycle weight is negligible for the nonracer. I'll keep my 10kg Bianchi, thank you!

For the out-of-saddle climber who tosses the bike from side to side while holding him/herself relatively upright, frame, saddle, and handlebar mass become somewhat more noticeable.

For acceleration, every gram of mass in the tyre or rim holds one back as much as two grams in the frame, because the tyre's angular intertia is approximately equal to its linear inertia. Many cyclists forget that reduced-spoke wheels need to have heavier rims for a given level of reliability. Thus, the sole advantage of a reduced-spoke wheel is improved aerodynamics, and this difference becomes significant only at relatively high speeds.

I still strongly believe the recreational, touring, or transportation cyclist is better off with good old-fashioned 32- (or more) spoke wheels. The impact of weight is over-rated, since some 85 percent of one's cycling effort is used to overcome wind drag.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069