Old 12-18-18, 01:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about off-brand pads. While I usually buy Kool Stop or Jagwire there have been a couple of times I just grabbed whatever no-name pads were available at the LBS to quickly fix a low end bike. I think the last set of pads I got for my errand bike were "Avid"? But they worked as well as the set of Kool Stop pads that were already on the bike. Both sets -- Kool Stop and Avid -- have been on that bike for more than two years and both have worn roughly the same and continue braking with the same reliability.

I did a Fakespot check for reviews of Pioneeryao brake pads and the impression was that the reviews were legit, not shills, and most reviews were positive.

The bike you linked to appears to have Winzip caliper brakes. That's a low end but reportedly functional brand. Some complaints report difficulty maintaining centering adjustment, but I've had that problem with Suntour GPX brakes on my old road bike -- they're fussy about cable housing length. I have to zip tie the cable to the handlebar and frame to keep the calipers centered so they don't rub the rims.

Even the worst no-name brakes, a set of generic linear pulls on my errand bike, are fully functional and stop the bike reliably. The only problems are cheap materials -- carbon steel screws that rust instead of stainless screws, springs that need to be adjusted once in awhile due to poor heat treatment of cheap torsion springs with long legs. But the brakes will put a serious stop on the bike when adjusted properly.

So I'd still lean toward suggesting adjustments to the setup you already have. There may be some flex or loss of efficiency somewhere that's hindering good braking.

If nothing is obviously bending or flexing, there may be other problems. Check the brake cable housing -- the metal under the plastic/rubber skin should be helically wound, not running parallel with the length of the cable/housing. If the manufacturer/vendor supplied compressionless or index shifting type cable housing for the brakes, that needs to be replaced pronto. It's possible they supplied both but unless the cable housings were clearly labeled it's easy to mix them up. Compressionless cable housing won't adequately support braking pressure.

And the rear brake cable loop shown in the Amazon listing photos may be a bit too long for efficient braking. Some folks prefer keeping cable housing runs and loops as short as possible without any sharp bends.

And pad alignment can be tricky without good light and shadow. Sometimes when I think I've gotten it perfect working on the bike at night indoors with a utility lamp I'll recheck in daylight and realize I didn't get one pad quite right. Or maybe I was wearing the wrong reading glasses.