acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Other bits...

(A) Congratulations on your defense! (I assume that it can be a Masters or a Doctorate as they usually both have a viva/defense/dissertation).

(B) What this at Yale based on your location?

(C) And with kids!

(D) I currently have 5 PhDs and 9 Masters students (and about a bajillion undergrads in my group ... usually between 20 and 30 students, which is a lot to manage) and the defense is always something special regardless at which level. I love watching what people do afterward.

(E) However, the job after/promotion if already employed is much nicer!

(F) Remotivation isn't really a word that I'd write or speak even if it is technically a word.

About the bike:

(A) I wouldn't invest in an ebike yet and the US market is quite poor. The German market is quite strong and the best ebike drivetrain comes out of Germany, Continental/Bosch mid-drive motors as an example. I'm seen them in the wild since 2010 in Frankfurt and they get better/cheaper every year. I don't think the US market has caught up and the cost remains too high right now.

(B) Just pedal for now. If you can defend with kids, you can ride a bicycle. No electric assist needed.

(C) commuting isn't about gear at all. it's about integrating it into your daily routine.

(D) finally, most doctoral gain a significant amount of weight while "writing up." the only way to lose it, is by burning it, so get pedalling. it's not that much different than writing the dissertation, everyday some needs to be done.

Last edited by acidfast7; 12-18-18 at 04:25 AM.